Many automakers don’t have a problem taking care of the front seat passengers with cool features such as heated seats and dual zone air conditioners, but the passengers in the back seats can sometimes be forgotten.
Many manufacturers are beginning to cater to backseat passengers, understanding consumers are looking for ways to entertain their under-twenty-one passengers while riding in the family car.
If you’re in the market for a new vehicle to transport your clan. Check out these top seven kid-approved new car features to help make your commutes a lot more peaceful.
U.S. News decided to do some research for parents with small children to find the best comfort and technology new car features geared toward children and passenger that ride in the back seat.
Top 7 New Car Features to Benefit Backseat Passengers
1. Rear Heated Seats – Many vehicles have had this feature available for the front passengers to warm themselves up quickly on cold winter days for years. Recently, many manufacturers are beginning to include front and rear heated seats as standard or optional equipment on certain vehicles. Your troops will love this feature on those cold winter drives.
2. On-Board Screens with Blu-ray Technology – Watching movies in the car has become a normal occurrence during long family trips or just quick runs to the store. Many automakers have upgraded their technology to include Blu-ray technology. Some vehicles also have multi screens to allow multiple kids watch different shows at the same time. They can also plug in, or wirelessly connect, headphones and listen to the audio without disturbing or distraction the driver or other passengers in the vehicle. Vehicle’s such as the 2016 Toyota Sienna have a built in microphone so the driver’s voice can be projected to the back of the vehicle so you don’t have to talk over or through the middle passengers.
3. Folding or Fold-Away Running Boards – This feature benefits both kids and adults. Bigger vehicles such as full size SUVs can be tough for kids to get in and out of with ease. When children have to climb and slide off the seat to get out it tends to tear up the leather or fabric causing excessive wear. Vehicles like the 2016 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ or 2016 Cadillac Escalade equipped with the folding running boards are a great help to small children. Once a door is opened the running board unfolds to provide an additional step up or down from the vehicle and once the door is shut the running board neatly tucks away next to the body of the vehicle. These running boards are also lighted to help you see the step when it’s dark outside.
4. Built-in Wi-Fi Hot Spot – One of the best kid-approved new car features available for 2016. A vehicle like the 2016 Chevrolet Impala with Wi-Fi hot spot acts just like Wi-Fi in your house. All you have to do is log in with your password and you can use the vehicle’s 4G LTE connection. The antenna on top of the car boosts the signal and you can even stream movies in some locations. Wi-Fi allows your kids to have their own content with them without having to worry if their downloading huge amounts of data from your wireless plan.
5. Android Auto and Apple CarPlay – These two systems are new to the industry and have just begun to show up in 2016 model vehicles, two vehicles equipped with these systems are the 2016 Chevrolet Colorado and the 2016 Honda Accord. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto give passengers a way to easily share and browse each other’s media. Plugging your phone into the system using a cord, you can switch between everyone’s devices connected into the system. Parents can even use voice commands to control the system and playback.
6. Wireless Charging for Your Devices – We all know kids can run down a battery on a wireless device in record time. Wireless charging, also known as inductive charging, can recharge your phone without having to plug it in. Most houses don’t have a wireless charging station, so having one in your vehicle is sure to score you “cool points.” Most iPhones are not set up for wireless charging, but there are a number of aftermarket products to help take advantage of this technology. This feature is available on the 2016 Toyota Camry Special Edition, it’s located in the center console to make it easily accessible to the driver and passengers.
7. Get All of the Above in One Car – Kids may not understand technology, but they sure do love it. Don’t just spoil your kids with one thing, take your time and familiarize yourself with all the new tech out there. Keeping your kids comfortable in the backseat while adding technology that supports smart phones and tablets will keep your kids happy during commutes in the family car. Parents know, the happier their children are in the car makes the drive go a lot more smooth.
How to Pay the Best Price for a New Car
When negotiating a new car’s price, it’s important to know the dealer invoice price and what other people are paying for the same vehicle in your local area. Otherwise, you won’t know what’s a good price to pay for the vehicle.
I highly recommend using an online referral service such as Ryde Shopper or Motor Trend, their quotes will automatically include any discounts or cash-back incentives currently available in the marketplace.